Thursday, September 3, 2009

Fun with Ribbon!

I have been having more cheap and cheerful decorating fun involving both my glue gun and upholstery tacks! :) There's nothing quite like an impending visit from the inlaws to motivate a person.

I have lots and lots of pictures of the kiddos, and I had this big, blank space above the piano. As usual, my original plan was much bigger and just proved to be way too much. Turns out, hanging lots of pictures very high and in very straight lines is nearly impossible when surrounded by two children under 4. So I came up with a more reasonable plan and decided to stagger them (which makes the unevenness on purpose!).

Dear Birthday Fairy, I could really use a new camera. This one is only 0.2 megapixels better than the one in my cell phone!

I thought it would be fun to have the baby pictures matched up by ages (3, 6, 9, 12 months). (I just have two kids, not seven!) The spot under Nathan's 1 year picture is awaiting Megan's 1-year picture in another month. Plus, they can be easily changed out with different pictures.

I might someday paint the frames black, but for now, I think it looks just fine.

Meanwhile, our bedroom still needed a little something. We did have red floral bedding that coordinated wonderfully with the lamps, but the master bedroom in our rental has pinkish walls. David said that he'd rather get new bedding that have to paint, and since I had wanted new bedding for a while anyway, I didn't wait for him to change his mind.

I found this bedding on clearance at JC Penney for ... wait for it ... $35.80!! It was originally $390! The sheets were on half-price for $39.99, so all of it was less than $100. Score!

I chose this bedding to go with this picture that my mother-in-law painted a few years back. It's a little small for this spot, so yesterday I added the L and D. The letters and ribbon came from Michael's, and I painted them black to match the frame, sign, and a computer armoire we also have in the room. I think it adds a nice personal touch. (And the sign always makes me giggle inside ... even after 11 years of marriage and 2 children!)

My First Foray into the World of Window Mistreatments

Two of my favorite blogs are Nesting Place and A Soft Place to Land. Every Thursday, Kimba at ASPTL hosts a DIY Party where readers post links to projects they've been working on. Check it out here! Today she's giving away some Gail Pittman pottery from Southern Living at Home, so you know I'm all over that! Here's a link to where I drooled over some of what I already have.

The Nester emphasizes that "it doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful," and one of her favorite techniques for decorating on a budget are "window mistreatments." She gives various examples of this, but most involve various lengths and types of fabric, upholstery tacks, and possibly a glue gun. (Actual hardware is optional!)

So a few weeks ago, I excitedly began to "mistreat" some existing valances I already had.

Turns out, mistreating is not as effortless as it appears on the blog.

This first result doesn't look too bad in the picture, but it just didn't look at all right in person.

So in the end, the curtains ended up back in their "standard" position on curtain rods that were left behind. Not bad, but not the exciting creation that I had envisioned.

Not to be deterred, I eventually got up the courage (and found the time) to tackle my laundry room window. I found this fabric called LuLu's Lounge back before we left Alabama.

Well, a few folds, some clips I already had, and some upholstery tacks later, and this is what I had:

Not too bad, I suppose. Again, I had visions of something infinitely more wonderful, but nevertheless, I have a cute window for very little money!

I think it looks even better with this plate I bought for a couple of dollars at Tuesday Morning! I would love to paint the walls a nice, bright color, but that's pretty low on the priority list....

I had better luck (and spent much more time) on the curtains in Megan's room. Let me start by saying that I realize the pink on the wall and the pink in the curtains is a little "off." The curtains were based on her bedding, and the wall color will be changing in the near future to either the right shade of pink or a sage green.

Everything was bought at Hobby Lobby. (LOVE that store!) The topper is just a remnant I found in the clearance bin!

No sewing machine was disturbed at any time. The curtain panel was hemmed and attached to the liner with stitch witchery - an iron-on adhesive. And the trim was attached with my handy-dandy glue gun.

I also found this crystal doorknob at Hobby Lobby and thought it would be great here. (I just hammered a tiny screwdriver end into the wall, and twisted and pushed it in!) You can't see the trim very well, but it's the same as the tieback.

I'm not sure I want to leave the valance like this. Right now, it's just been mistreated with some upholstery tacks, but I do think it has a bit of a princess-y feel to it.

So there you have it, folks. Cheap and cheerful - two of my favorite qualities in home decor!
Blog Widget by LinkWithin